Lets try to understand what depression is, to fight it better!
Friday - April 7, 2017 8:20 pm , Category : WTN SPECIAL
How one can define Depression to identify?
- By definition “Depression is an illness characterized by persistent sadness and a loss of interest in activities that you normally enjoy, accompanied by an inability to carry out daily activities, for at least two weeks.”
- Feeling of sadness, misery, unhappiness sorrow, gloomy thought all are shades of depression, basically feeling of severe despondency and dejection is called depression.
Where Depression can lead us to?
- Depression impacts on people’s ability to carry out even the simplest everyday tasks, with sometimes devastating consequences for relationships with family and friends and the ability to earn a living.
- AT WORST, DEPRESSION CAN LEAD TO SUICIDE.
- Depression affects people of both sexes, all ages and status in all countries.
Do you Know major are Myth and not Facts people believe in on Depression ?
- Because of a stigma associated with depression and mental health problems, 2/3rd of those people living with a mental illness do not seek help.
- For people living with depression, talking about it can be very the first step towards recovery.
- Promoting mental health & well-being is an integral part of sustainable development agenda to transform our world by 2030.
|1||Hard Work Beats Depression||Overworking can actually be a sign of clinical depression, especially in men.|
|2||It's Not a Real Illness||Depression is a serious medical condition -- and can be the top cause of disability.|
|3||Men Fly Under the Radar||That's because men are less likely than women to talk about their feelings|
|4||Depression Is Just Self-Pity||Actually its more of a health problem related to changes in the brain. Like other illnesses, it usually improves with appropriate treatment.|
|5||Talking Makes Things Worse||The first step is to talk to heal.|
|6||Depression Is Tough to Treat||The reality is most people who take action to lift their depression do get better.|
|7||Help Means Drugs for Life||Medication is only one of the tools used to lift depression and the talk therapy works as well as drug.|
How to Fight Back?
This year campaign is for everyone. Whether you work for the government, a nongovernmental organisation or a media outlet, whether you are a doctor, teacher, journalist, blogger, parent or simply someone who has heard about the campaign and would like to get involved.
Courtesy Dr M K Mishra
Professor, Community Medicine and Dean
People’s College of Medical Sciences & Research Centre, Bhanpur, Bhopal.
Courtesy Dr. Girjesh Gupta
Department of Community Medicine
People's College of Medical Sciences & Research Centre, Bhopal (MP)
October 21st, 2017
October 20th, 2017
October 19th, 2017