Maintain your clothes like its couture
New Delhi May 2 (IANS) Buying clothes is easy but maintaining them is important. Don t store clothes in a plastic bag and before storing dry clean them say experts.
Designers Lalit Dalmia and Y Z Jafri and Harleen Kaur Jawanda Chief Merchandising Officer at Trendybharat an online shopping website. have the following suggestions:
* Before packing the clothes dry clean and wash them. Dirty clothing can attract vermin and insects which may damage your clothing so wash and iron them before storing.
* Avoid plastic bags as these can trap moisture and cause mildew to form or cause the yellowing of fabrics. Acid-free boxes and tissue paper should be used as not all plastic boxes are safe as they release chemicals which could have subtle to grossly negative effects on the clothing.
* The right hangers are a must. With all the same hangers your wardrobe will look like an emporium and if all the garments are level they are a lot easier to see. Try the rubber covered non-slip hanger.
* To deter dreaded moth holes in clothes use lavender bags or cedar wood in your storage boxes as these natural products work really well.
* Don t store your footwear with your garments as fumes from the leather and glue may cause damage and discolouration.
* Just like the storage material there needs to be thought put into the storage locations. This means stuffy areas like attics and basements are a strict no-no. The best space would be a dark area with good air circulation. Also leaving your dry-cleaning in plastic baggies is bound to trap gases that might discolour your precious apparel.