Wahlberg donates $1.5 million in Williams name
Los Angeles Jan 14 (IANS) Actor Mark Wahlberg has donated $1.5 million to the Time s Up Legal Defence Fund in the name of his "All the Money in the World" co-star Michelle Williams.
The donation comes in response to criticism over a gender pay gap for re-shoots of the movie "All the Money in the World". Wahlberg was paid $1.5 million for the re-shoot while Williams made just around $1 000 or $80 a day reports cnn.com.
"Over the last few days my re-shoot fee for All the Money in the World has become an important topic of conversation " Wahlberg said in a statement.
"I 100 per cent support the fight for fair pay and I m donating the $1.5 million to the Time s Up Legal Defence Fund in Michelle Williams name."
William Morris Endeavor Entertainment (WME) the talent agency that represents both Wahlberg and Williams also announced it would make a $500 000 donation to the fund again in Williams name. The organisation had donated $1 million to the fund earlier this month.
Williams issued a statement in response to the donation on Saturday reports cnn.com.
"If we truly envision an equal world it takes equal effort and sacrifice " her statement read in part.
"Today is one of the most indelible days of my life because of Mark Wahlberg WME and a community of women and men who share in this accomplishment. Anthony Rapp for all the shoulders you stood on now we stand on yours."
Rapp alleged in a Buzzfeed story published in late October that Kevin Spacey made a sexual advance towardS him at a party in 1986. Rapp was 14 years old then.
Spacey issued a statement claiming he did not recall the alleged incident with Rapp but he apologised for what he said would have been "deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour".
As a result of Rapp s allegations and others director Ridley Scott decided to re-shoot scenes from "All the Money in the World" that included Spacey.
--IANS
sug/rb/mr