Korean stage director accused of rape, apologises
Seoul Feb 22 (IANS) Lee Yoon-taek artistic director of Yeonheedan one of South Koreas top theatre groups has been accused of sexual violence including rape.
The case is the latest scandal as the #MeToo campaign slowly gathers momentum in Korea s art and culture sectors which are deeply male-dominated reports variety.com.
The #MeToo movement was initially started by the actresses and models in Hollywood against sexual misconduct in their workplace.
Yoon-taek held a press conference on Tuesday where he said he deeply regrets his past misconduct and would take legal responsibility.
"I offer my sincere apology to all the victims. Sometimes I might have committed the acts in spite of myself. Other times I might have felt guilty but ended up not suppressing the dirty desire within. But I did not rape any one. Not everything on social media is true " said Yoon-taek.
Allegations against Yoon-taek were initially raised by Kim Soo-hee head of Seoul-based theatre company Mee-in.
She said that over a period of 20 years many actresses in Lee s troupe had been forced to offer him intimate massages. After Kim went public with the assertions other Yeonheedan staff and talent revealed their own experiences of abuse by Yoon-taek.
"In 2005 I was raped by Lee while I was offering him a massage. I got pregnant and had to have an abortion. Lee gave me some Korean Won 2 million ($2 000) and an apology. Later as the matter became forgotten he started sexually assaulting me again " stage actress Kim Ji-hyun wrote on her social media account.
Another actress Lee Seung-bi accused Yoon-taek of punishing women who refused to cooperate reports variety.com.
"While practicing lines Lee groped around my groin. I pushed him away with all my power and ran away. Afterwards the number of the shows that I had been originally booked to perform was reduced from seven to five. Lee subsequently stigmatised me as the first actress to boycott a National Theater show when in fact I was ruled out by Lee " she said.
The allegations have triggered an online petition at the Korean President s website with over 20 000 people having signed it demanding a thorough investigation and appropriate punishment.
The Korean Playwrights Association said that it had expelled Lee and withdrawn its recommendation that Lee become a board member of the Arts Council Korea.
--IANS
ks/nn/bg