BrahMos WORLD INDIA MADHYA PRADESH BHOPAL WTN SPECIAL GOSSIP CORNER RELIGION SPORTS BUSINESS FUN FACTS ENTERTAINMENT LIFESTYLE TRAVEL ART & LITERATURE SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY HEALTH EDUCATION DIASPORA OPINION & INTERVIEW RECIPES DRINKS BIG MEMSAAB 2017 BUDGET 2017 FUNNY VIDEOS VIRAL ON WEB PICTURE STORIES Mahakal Ke Darshan
WTN HINDI ABOUT US PRIVACY POLICY SITEMAP CONTACT US
logo
Breaking News

No let-up in Bengaluru rain havoc, 5 more dead

Saturday - October 14, 2017 10:40 pm , Category : SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
 No let-up in Bengaluru rain havoc, 5 more dead
No let-up in Bengaluru rain havoc, 5 more dead

Bengaluru Oct 14 (IANS) Five people including two women were killed and a dozen others injured since Friday as heavy monsoon rains continued to pound the city wreaking havoc and flooding several localities said a civic official on Saturday.



"Heavy downpour with thunderstorm and gusty winds in the city claimed five lives since Friday night. A temple priest a couple and a mother and daughter died in rain-related incidents " Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) spokesman N. Suresh told IANS.

Among the victims Vasudev 40 a priest in Ganesha temple in Basaveshwarnagar slipped into a storm-water drain and drowned. The fire brigade personnel recovered his body in an open culvert a km away from the spot.

"Meenakshi 55 and her daughter Pushpalatha 22 were washed away when the flood water entered their house in a low-laying area at Laggere (in the western suburbs). Their bodies are yet to be traced despite day-long search " said Suresh.

Shankarappa 55 and his wife Kamalamma 44 were found dead earlier in the day at Kuruburahalli in the north-west suburb when the wall of the old house crashed and fell on them as they were clearing the rain water in a room.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah who visited the rain-affected areas along with Bengaluru Development Minister K.J. George and City Mayor Sampath Raj took stock of the situation and declared Rs 5 lakh compensation to the families of the victims.

"The toll in rain-related incidents across the city has gone up to 8 this season " added Suresh.

Though the south-west monsoon was set to end in September it remained active during its withdrawal phase even as the north-east monsoon is a week away.

"The city received 181 mm rain since October 1 and the forecast is moderate to heavy rains will continue till the onset of the north-east monsoon from October 20 " said regional met director Sundar Metri.

An active monsoon led to heavy rains in and around the city this season with a record 430 mm rainfall in September and 250 mm in August.

--IANS
fb/vd