Houthi ballistic missile intercepted over Riyadh
Riyadh Dec 19 (IANS) The Saudi-led coalition battling Yemen s Houthi rebels said it intercepted a ballistic missile near Riyadh on Tuesday Saudi state media reported.
Witnesses in the Saudi capital posted pictures on social media showing a cloud of smoke in the air and there were no reports of any damage the BBC reported.
The Houthi movement s al-Masirah TV said rebel fighters had fired a Burkan-2 missile at the al-Yamama Palace. Last month a similar missile came close to hitting Riyadh s airport.
Saudi Arabia and the US have accused Iran of supplying the Houthis with the missile. However Iran has denied arming the Houthi movement which has been fighting a war against Yemen s government and the Saudi-led coalition since 2015.
The missile targeted "a meeting of the leadership of the Saudi regime in al-Yamama Palace in Riyadh" it said. The palace is the main headquarters of the king s office and the royal court.
--IANS
ahm/bg