Fresh vote better than Five-Star-League government, says Berlusconi
Campobasso (Italy) April 20 (IANS/AKI) Silvio Berlusconi leader of Italy s conservative Forza Italia party on Friday said a return to the ballot box would be preferable to a coalition government between the populist Five-Star Movement and the far-right League.
"For sure it is our absolute duty to hold new elections rather than have a government that is not a centre-right one which does not have the numbers in parliament.
"Italians will hopefully have learned to vote better than they did this last time " Berlusconi said during a visit to Molise region ahead of regional elections there this weekend.
"They voted very badly " he added.
Five-Star and the League made strong gains in Italy s inconclusive March 4 national ballot in which no party or bloc won a parliamentary majority and several rounds of talks on forming a coalition government have failed to break the post-election deadlock.
Earlier this week Berlusconi signalled he could work with Five-Star but on Friday launched a scathing attack on the anti-establishment party and urged his allies including the League to consider a tie-up with the defeated centre-left.
"Five-Star are a danger for the country. It is not a democratic party it is a party for the unemployed " said the billionaire media magnate and ex-premier.
"I would send them to clean the toilets " Berlusconi added.
Di Maio has refused to enter any government that includes Forza Italia due to Berlusconi s tax fraud conviction and his current bribery trial - charges that Berlusconi denies.
--IANS/AKI
vd