BrahMos WORLD INDIA MADHYA PRADESH BHOPAL WTN SPECIAL GOSSIP CORNER RELIGION SPORTS BUSINESS FUN FACTS ENTERTAINMENT LIFESTYLE TRAVEL ART & LITERATURE SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY HEALTH EDUCATION DIASPORA OPINION & INTERVIEW RECIPES DRINKS BIG MEMSAAB 2017 BUDGET 2017 FUNNY VIDEOS VIRAL ON WEB PICTURE STORIES Mahakal Ke Darshan
WTN HINDI ABOUT US PRIVACY POLICY SITEMAP CONTACT US
logo
Breaking News

EC rejects AAP plea, office of profit case to continue (Lead)

Saturday - June 24, 2017 6:08 pm , Category : INDIA
 EC rejects AAP plea, office of profit case to continue (Lead)
EC rejects AAP plea, office of profit case to continue (Lead)

New Delhi June 24 (IANS) In a setback to the AAP the Election Commission has rejected the pleas of 21 party legislators -- whose appointment as Parliamentary Secretaries was set aside by the court -- to drop office of profit case against them.

Since the AAP MLAs held de facto posts of Parliamentary Secretaries from March 13 2015 to September 8 2016 the proceedings on the question of their disqualification will continue the EC said in its order on Friday.

The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) said it respected the EC order but hinted that the option of legal remedy was available to the ruling party.

The 21 AAP legislators had approached the poll panel to drop the disqualification case as their appointments had already been set aside by the Delhi High Court on September 8 2016.

Out of these 21 legislators Jarnail Singh had resigned from the Rajouri Garden seat in January to contest the Punjab assembly elections.

The Election Commission in its 23-page order said it was not in dispute that the respondents (legislators) were appointed Parliamentary Secretaries in the Delhi government by an order of March 13 2015.

Thus it is evident that from the date of their appointment on March 13 2015 till the date of setting aside of their appointment on September 8 2016 the respondents were de facto holders of the office of Parliamentary Secretaries albeit by way of an illegal appointment order and hence the present proceedings before the commission on the question of their disqualification is maintainable and shall continue the EC said.

The EC said: ... without prejudice to the merits of the case the reference relating to the question of alleged disqualification of the respondents under Section 15 (4) of the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi Act 1991 for holding the said office survives and is maintainable in respect of all the said respondents except Jarnail Singh MLA of Rajouri Garden who has resigned his office on January 17 and even by-election has been held on April 17 to fill that vacancy in the Delhi assembly.

AAP spokesperson Saurabh Bharadwaj on Saturday said the party respects the High Court s and Election Commission s orders adding that all options are available (to the party) to challenge this EC order.

The EC s order should not be misinterpreted. The High Court had declared the very order of appointment of 21 Parliamentary Secretaries as null and void Bharadwaj said.

Therefore there was no question of hearing a petition for the office which never existed Bharadwaj said.

In 2015 the AAP government passed an amendment to the Delhi Members of Legislative Assembly (Removal of Disqualification) Act 1997 to exempt the Parliamentary Secretary s post from the definition of office of profit with retrospective effect.

However President Pranab Mukherjee refused to give assent following which the appointments were set aside by the High Court.

The court quashed the notification issued by the AAP government in March 2015 wherein 21 of its MLAs were appointed as Parliamentary Secretaries.

The High Court declared their appointments illegal saying the order had been passed without concurrence/approval of the Lieutenant Governor.

--IANS
am/tsb/bg